• SFCAMFT Member (no CE’s) FREE
• SFCAMFT Member with 1.5 CE’s = $10 (plus fees)
• Non-SFCAMFT Member (no CE’s) = $20 (plus fees)
• Non-SFCAMFT Member with 1.5 CE’s= $30 (plus fees)
This event is open to both SFCAMFT members and non-members. Pre-registration is required by Wednesday, January 6, 2021. The workshop is designed for mental health professionals and provides 1.5 CEs for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs.
The Zoom link will be provided after completed registration.
This 1.5 hour live online webinar will give the latest information about billing for video and phone psychotherapy sessions. Information from colleagues isn’t always accurate or up-to-date, which can lead to reimbursement problems, or even unethical practices. Common telehealth billing myths and errors will be addressed to help avoid claim denials, with special attention to billing, and answer questions about the legality of practicing across state lines. This webinar is applicable nationwide, and aimed at all psychotherapists, even those who don’t work directly with insurance.
• How is coding different for telehealth sessions?
• Are insurance plans waiving copays? Will the therapist be paid less?
• Are out-of-network providers being covered?
• Are phone sessions covered, and if so, how are they coded?
• Where can one get insurance coverage information?
• How can a claim be corrected a claim if errors were made?
• How is documentation different for telehealth?
• Are reimbursement rates different than in-person?
• Must a HIPAA-Compatible telehealth platform be used?
• Can therapy be provided to an out-of-state client? What if the therapist goes out of state?
• How are insurance plans reacting to providers giving up their offices?
• Questions & Answers
The webinar includes downloadable handouts of the slides.
After attending this webinar, the attendee will be able to:
1. Identify trends in telehealth coverage due to the COVID pandemic
2. Understand how to code and bill for telehealth sessions, in order to avoid claim denials and treatment interruption
3. Name two things clinicians should document for each telehealth session
4. Identify legal considerations before providing therapy across state lines
About the Presenter
Barbara Griswold, LMFT is a private practice coach, and the author of Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist’s Complete Guide to Working with Insurance – And Whether You Should, now in its 8th edition (www.navigatingtheinsurancemaze.com). In addition to her 30-year private practice in San Jose, California, she provides consultations and trainings to therapists nationwide with question about insurance, progress notes, and the business side of their practices. She has been interviewed on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” and her articles have appeared in Psychotherapy Networker and The Therapist magazines. Barbara publishes an e-newsletter called “What Every Therapist Should Know About Insurance.” She invites therapists to contact her to get help navigating the insurance (and private practice) maze.
How do I get CEs for this event?
You must purchase the ticket option that includes 1.5 CEs. Course completion certificates will be awarded after the course in exchange for a completed evaluation form. To qualify for CE credit, you must arrive on time, stay until the end of the program, and fill out an online evaluation. Your CE certificate will be emailed within 5-10 business days after the event.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
For any questions, concerns, disability accommodations, or grievances related to programming, please contact the Acting Programming Chair, Carrie Johnson, LMFT by phone at (415) 894-2766 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person with disabilities who may require accommodations to participate in our trainings or special events is asked to please contact the organizer at least 3 days in advance.
What’s the refund policy?
All fees are paid to SFCAMFT and are non-refundable.
SFCAMFT (CEU provider #62283) IS APPROVED BY THE CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS TO SPONSOR CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR LMFT’S, LCSW’S, LPCC’S AND LEP’S. SFCAMFT MAINTAINS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAM AND ALL ITS CONTENT.